Sunday, March 22, 2015

Who I am Hates Who I've Been

All the links on this post lead to where I got my point from (scripture verses, songs, sermons). Please click through as you go and read, listen and learn for yourself.








Have you heard the Reliant K song the title is in reference to? This morning at church, the Pastor's sermon Found Here (March 22, 2015) , was on the passage Philippians 3:10-16. He had many great points, but today I am only going to speak on one. While listening to the message, one thing became glaringly apparent to my heart--I would rather make excuses about why I am inadequate for something than take the risk of failure.

I don't know about you, but I have the nasty habit of living out of who I used to be. That girl who was selfish, rude, spoiled, damaged, broken, angry, poor, orphaned, hurt, afflicted, anxious...and I could go on but I won't. I make decisions about what I can and cannot do, what I am worthy of receiving from others, and what I'm entitled to try. By living my life according who who I used to be I am continually disqualifying myself for both kingdom work and moving forward in life.

Scripture says that I have been given everything for life and for godliness and yet I habitually dwell in my inadequacies. In doing so, I undermine Christ's sacrifice for my sin and failures. What's more, I undermine the power of God in my life. I live in fear of 'not wanting to be that person' that I was, and with out moving forward from that past and pressing on, I will remain unchanged. All of those identifiers (whatever they were) have been paid for and wiped away, why bother digging it up? That person has died to their old nature, and is a new creation. The challenge now then is to put to death the culture of 'just getting by.

I confess, if I know that I am not gifted at something, I don't even try. Today I made the choice to repent from doubting the power of God in my life and undermining His provision at the same time. I've been thinking and believing that I could only accomplish things with in my own strengths, skills and efforts. When the reality is I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

 Philippians 3:12-14's main premise addresses living in the past knowledge of who we are versus living in the resurrected power of Christ. So what's the key to living in the power of a resurrected Christ? You forget who you were but straining forward to the goal--which is Christ. It's a big deal. I've spent the past ten years of my faith journey over thinking this. It's really simple. The passage explains it all. Live up to what you've already attained, however mature you are--at least be that--DON'T QUIT. We are given permission to be imperfect but we are not given permission to quit. He will do it. There's no need to quit or to be afraid to press on (strive for something with the intention to catch it) and take hold (with the implication of significant effort--to win) of what we're called to.

If you're like me, you're thinking "Well, what am I called to?". The love of God isn't a dictating force that governs everything that I do...that's His will. By submitting to His love, I allow His will to be made manifest in my life. Conversely, I cannot obtain God's love through trying to obey His will. His will working out in my life is the natural product of me fully embracing His love. Because my friends, love is a powerful thing--love casts out fear. All these things, fear of being who I was, fear of being discovered as less than or unworthy, fear of failure, fear of judgement; each and every fear I have is overcome by the love of God embraced in my life.

The question is will you live your life as a dead person or one filled with the life of a resurrected Jesus? I'm putting down my shovel and pressing on.

** I'd like to add, if you would like to join my support network and help me in this journey of radical obedience http://www.gofundme.com/cherylfolland follow this link to donate and share. Every little bit helps. **

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to add your voice. Though diversity is respected if comments are deemed inappropriate they may be edited or deleted. Happy posting.