Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Power of a Story








Ever feel like you're on the cusp of a major break through? You get this overwhelming and expectant feeling that something big is coming but you can't quite put your finger on it?


Yea, me too.

It's an exciting place to be. What's more, is when the people in your life start to sense it to and affirm it in your life.

Lately, I've had the opportunity to be involved in music, speaking and mentoring ministry. It's been a long time since I felt like I was in my element. Exactly where God needed me to be and using the gifts that He's given me in such a way that it puts sparks in people's hearts. This past Sunday, I was so humbled after sharing my story by the people who came to talk to me afterwards.

People who I thought had it at least more together than I do. It's good to be reminded that everyone is messy and everyone can build into other people's lives. Each of us has a story that can impact others in their own journeys. The power of a story is enormous. Think of the best movie or book that you've enjoyed recently. Why was it so impactful to you? It was the story. Something in the way the writer portrayed the characters and the events that shaped them resonated with you. Our stories are even more powerful for two reasons.

1) Our stories are true. When we go to see movies, get our PVRs for our favourite tv shows, or get lost in the most recent best seller--it's fiction. Yet, if you're like me, your emotions still get tied in. You smile, laugh, cry, get angry and feel loss when your favourite movie series, show or trilogy comes to an end. But a true story told by the main character to a live audience gives more than inspiration--it gives hope.

2) Our stories last. I love movies, novels and tv. I'll be honest--I could be a nobel prize winner if I didn't fill up all that space in my mind with movie and tv trivia. All things aside, nothing has ever changed my life the way a real story does. I can remember key phrases from stories people have told me that triggered understanding in my own heart.

Your story matters. No matter how small, huge, cruel, insignificant, funny, serious, eventful, boring it is. The events in your life and the way they've shaped your character can be used to give people courage and hope in their own journey. Don't be shy, be a story teller.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to add your voice. Though diversity is respected if comments are deemed inappropriate they may be edited or deleted. Happy posting.