Thursday, May 5, 2016

The thing I can't live without.

Is there something in your life that you can't live without?

I posted a short video about my need for authenticity on my YouTube Channel today. It got me thinking that authenticity is a tricky creature and yet I cannot live without it.




In order to fully embrace myself I have to be willing to fully embrace others--even if that means that they might not see their behaviour as damaging to others.

I was talking with my mom today, something that's happening more and more as I embrace how I was made, and I said, "So many hurtful things happen to people with love as the motivation." As much as I see bigotry and hatred cited as the reason for injury towards LGBT people (myself included), those who are close to me are motivated out of love for me.

In their sight, through standing by their convictions, they are displaying love for me by trying to step in and stop me from going a direction they don't agree with. Though it hurts, I can see where it comes from, and I am thankful that there are people who care enough about me and my well being to risk relationship.

The issue I have is the methodology.

Ever feel like you're the last one to know something really important?

Ever feel like your life has become a series of question and answer periods when all you'd like is to have a cup of tea and watch a movie with some friends?

Me too.

When your friend comes out to you, whether you are Christian or not, whether you agree with them or not, it's their journey. Let them share with you at their speed. You might have a lot of questions, and that's great! It shows that you care. Consider how many others in their life also have that many questions and how many times they are asked them in a day. Every conversation becomes about this one part of their life--and they need space to process the new normal.

You didn't become best friends understanding one another over night, and you won't understand them through this new lens right away either.

Give it time. Let it breathe and be there for them how they need you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to add your voice. Though diversity is respected if comments are deemed inappropriate they may be edited or deleted. Happy posting.